Seriously.

Somebody please remind my kids that someday they will be longing for food like mom used to make.

söndag 15 juli 2012

Lazy chicken pasta sauce

With all this baking going on, plus cooking for guests for my birthday party, I needed something really easy for dinner. This is one of those meals where I didn't really have a plan, I just went to the store and tossed some stuff in the cart.

What I tossed in the cart (and/or used for dinner) was:


1 T. butter plus 1 T. olive oil
1 whole roasted chicken, cut into chunks
1 red bell pepper, chopped
1 red onion, chopped
1 clove of garlic, minced
1 c. cream
1 can of crushed tomatoes
3 T. basil, finely chopped
1/4 c. freshly grated parmesan cheese (I always have parmesan cheese in my freezer ready to grate)
Salt and pepper
Pasta - I threw some mozzarella, sun-dried tomato, and basil filled Girasole into the cart as I whizzed by.

The result became Lazy chicken pasta sauce.


In a medium saucepan, heat butter and olive oil. Sauté onion for about 3 minutes, then add bell pepper and garlic and sauté until bell pepper starts to soften, about 2-3 minutes. Add cream and crushed tomatoes, then bring to a boil. Let simmer for a few minutes to thicken, then add parmesan cheese, basil, and salt and pepper to taste. Stir in chicken chunks and heat through. Serve over pasta. 



The toddler mostly just wanted to eat chicken, which is not surprisingly one of the few words she can say clearly. She did open up her little pasta pockets and eat the filling. The big girl opened her pasta pockets and discarded the filling, eating the pasta part. She loved the flavor of the sauce, and dipped her naked pasta pieces in it, while trying to avoid the bell pepper chunks. I do believe she ate some of the other solid ingredients. She did ask what made it orange, but I deftly changed the subject, because any sauces containing known and/or visible tomato contaminents are generally deemed inedible. Just ask Lasagne and Spaghetti Bolognese. We had hubby's Spaghetti Bolognese for dinner two days ago, and bribery and threats were involved in her consumption of just two spoons' worth of sauce. What she doesn't know, doesn't hurt her.

Inga kommentarer:

Skicka en kommentar