Seriously.

Somebody please remind my kids that someday they will be longing for food like mom used to make.

tisdag 31 juli 2012

Zucchini pancakes

The camera was focusing on the bacon, also what the big girl tends to do when it is served.
I had a bunch of zucchini left after my chicken salad 2 days ago, so I had to figure out a way to use it up.  I saw a recipe for zucchini pancakes, so decided to give it a go for lunch, since we are on vacation. I warily got out the food processor to shred my zucchini during the toddler's nap time, thanking myself for having the foresight to install a pocket door between the living room/kitchen area and the bedroom area when we built our house. Big girl was playing with a boy from the neighborhood, so they ran to his house to ask if he could stay for lunch and then came back to pester me by asking if it was done yet.

I get so much use out of my food processor, a Christmas present from my parents. Thanks, Mom and Dad.

Stirring the zucchini into the batter

Adding the dry ingredients

Batter ready to go

Cooking the pancakes on medium heat until bubbles form in the center

Multitasking by frying bacon

Another minute on the other side

Proving that a little maple syrup will make big girl eat pancakes containing suspect vegetables

Zucchini Pancakes


Makes 10 to 12 pancakes

2 large eggs
3 T olive oil
2 T granulated sugar
2 T milk
2 T yogurt - plain works, but I used lemon
1/2 teaspoon vanilla bean powder
2 cups shredded zucchini, heaping cups are fine
1 cup all-purpose flour
a dash of salt
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/8 tsp. nutmeg
1/8 tsp. ground ginger
1/8 tsp, cardamum
Butter or oil, for coating skillet

In a large bowl, whisk eggs, olive oil, sugar, milk, yogurt, and vanilla until smooth. Stir in zucchini shreds. In a smaller bowl, whisk together flour, salt, baking soda, and spices. Stir dry ingredients into zucchini batter, mixing until just combined.

Preheat oven to 200°F/100C and place a cookie sheet in the center of the oven.

Heat a large skillet over medium heat. Once hot, add a bit of butter and swirl it around. Spoon a few small circles of batter in pan with space so they don't touch. Cook until bubbles appear on the surface, about 2 to 3 minutes. Flip them and cook another minute or two, until golden underneath. Transfer pancakes to oven to keep warm and cook through the rest of the way. Repeat with remaining batter. Serve warm with a side of bacon and some maple syrup. Serves about 4.


The verdict: Big girl thought they were really, really good. Her friend was a good sport, trying the strange American syrup with strange American pancakes, and liked them a lot. Hubby doesn't do syrup but liked them anyway. I could have used another package of bacon. The toddler slept through lunch, but I kept a few  warm in the oven and she liked them too.

Inga kommentarer:

Skicka en kommentar